Please note: The public may attend the Select Board meetings in person or may participate via remote Zoom access.
Select Board meetings are on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month. The agenda closes at 4 p.m. on the Thursday prior to each meeting. Please submit all correspondence to the Board by this deadline. The agenda and the supporting documentation packet are published online on the Friday prior to each meeting. Information provided after the agenda closes will be provided to the Board at the following meeting. (This schedule will change if there is a recognized holiday that falls on a Thursday to Tuesday)
The Select Board historically dates back to the early 1600s. Prior to that, residents were selected to ensure the wishes of the townspeople were carried out between their meetings. Much has changed over the years and yet the fundamental function of today’s Select Board members remains the same. The Board continues to work to ensure the votes of town meetings are carried out. The Board also disseminates policy directives and guidelines to be followed by Town committees and agencies. In addition there are hundreds of Massachusetts and/or Municipal General Laws that authorize the Board to act in the role of municipal executives.
The Select Board serves as the role of Chief Executive Officer of the Town. That role exists only when the entire Board meets and acts. The Town’s daily financial and administrative functions are carried out by a professional Town Administrator who acts as the Town’s Chief Administrative/Financial Officer. The Administration Office is staffed by a full-time Executive Assistant and part-time Office Assistant. Stow's Select Board is comprised of five members, elected for three years.
A summary of the Select Board responsibilities:
- Makes appointments and is the hiring authority for non-elected Town boards, committees, and other representatives for the Town
- Issues Annual and Special Town Meeting warrants
- Sets the date for Town Meeting and publishes the Annual Town Report
- Supervises Town Legal Counsel and approves actions in litigation
- Investigates the affairs of the Town and the conduct of any Town agency
- Town licensing board including those for alcohol, new, and used car sales
- Oversees municipal property and risk management for the Town
watch: meetings on StowTV YouTube
|Phoebe Haberkorn||Office Assistant||(978) 897-4515|
|Joyce Sampson||Executive Assistant||(978) 897-4515|