Stow’s story in the last half of the 20th Century is one of residential growth. In 1950 the population numbered 1,700, occupying some 645 private dwellings and owning some 935 motor vehicles. In 2009, the census counted nearly 6,700 people, living in more than 2,400 dwellings and paying taxes on 7,764 cars, trucks and motorcycles. Stow’s major intersection, Great Road and Gleasondale Road, survived for many years with simply a stop sign, then a flashing yellow light, then a flashing red light and finally, in 1985, a full stoplight.
Assabet Lodge’s nine-hole golf course became Stowaway Golf Course, and Mapledale Country Club was expanded into the Stow Acres Country Club, encompassing two 18th hole courses. The 18-hole Butternut Farm Golf Club began operation and the 18-hole Wedgewood Pines Country Club was opened as a private-membership club.